Monday 13 October 2008

Schooltime In Happy Green Forest

Narrator: Hello children, today is the first day of term at Happy Green High. New friendships will be made and knowledge will be shared. These truly are the greatest days of their lives.

At the front of a classroom an Owl wearing a mortar board and gown is stood in front of a green chalkboard with Ms.Hoot written in large letters. She is looking at a room full nervous looking children made up of all different types of animal from across the forest. All wearing the Green blazers, Brown shirts and a green with yellow strips tie uniform of HGH.

Ms. Hoot (a warm gentle voice) : Good Morning class

Class (as one): Good morning Mrs Hoot, good morning everybody

Ms Hoot: Now as it’s our first proper day together I thought it would be fun to get to know each other a little better.

So what we are going to do is go around the room and introduce ourselves. I want you to stand up, say your name, nice and loudly and one interesting little thing about you. I’ll start so you have a little time to think about what you are going to say.

My name is Ms. Hoot and I can turn my head all the way around, so when I am writing on the board I can see what you are doing without turning around.

Now over to you (gesturing at a small, frightened looking bear with pink ribbons in its fur)(huge friendly smile) What’s your name petal?

lisa: (whisper) my names Lisa and …

Ms. Hoot: Lisa, that’s a pretty name can you speak up a little please petal, there is no need to be shy (huge friendly smile)

Lisa: (louder) My names Lisa and my Uncle was in Gentle Ben

Ms. Hoot: Was he? My that’s interesting. Now how about you (gesturing at a small Rabbit)

Jake: (boldly and rather loud) I’m Jake and I’m going to be a famous runner one day, I’m the fastest Rabbit in the forest

Ms. Hoot: My my you’ll be one to watch on sports day then, Next one please!

James (an identical rabbit sat next to Jake) : My names James and my brother is going to be a famous runner one day.

Ms. Hoot: Twins! How will we tell you apart?

Jake: I’m the fast one, he (nod of the head towards his brother) is the brains of the family

Ms Hoot: Oh I see, and you are? (Smiling at the next child a sleepy looking Ferret)

Lucas: (yawn) I’m Lucas and my Dad knew a Capybara once (yawn)

Ms. Hoot: Late night was it Lucas?

Lucas: No miss, I’m a Ferret and we need our sleep

Jake (muttering): Lazy good for nothing Ferrets

Ms. Hoot: We’ll not be having any of that in my class room!

Jake: Sorry miss

Ms. Hoot (stern) : Its not be you need to apologise to now is it?

Jake (grumpily) : Sorry Lucas

Ms. Hoot: That’s better … now who are you then sweetpea?

Claire (a wolf cub) : My names Claire and I’m a Wolf when I grow up I want to be a singer

Ms. Hoot: A wolf cub eh? I had heard we had a new pack in the forest and we always need new voices of the happy green high choir

Carl (another wolf, Claire’s brother) And I’m Carl, her big brother and I am the jazz Crabs biggest fan ever.

Ms. Hoot: ooh another fan of Seymour eh? You missed a great show the other night.

Carl: I know! The stupid bears wouldn’t let me in

Lisa (upset): My daddy isn’t stupid and you are too small to go to nasty clubs like that

Carl: Which one is your daddy? The big dumb one or the bigger, dumber one?

Ms. Hoot (angrily) : CARL we do not speak to each other like that in my classroom!

(calmly) We only have two rules in this class room

Be kind in what you say and do

And look after your belongings

Carl: Yes miss, sorry miss, sorry Lisa

Ms. Hoot: That’s better now where were we?

Sara: Its me next miss.

Ms. Hoot: Thank you and who are you petal?

Sara: I’m Sara and I’m a skunk …

Ms. Hoot: Do you know every class I have ever taught has had a skunk in

Sara: Its one of the rules miss

Ms. Hoot: What rule darling?

Sara: Every class has to have a smelly kid.

The entire class giggles making Sara blush

Ms. Hoot: Now now settle down, Skunks don’t smell unless you make them angry or nervous isn’t that right Sara?

Sara: Yes miss its like Octopus and Puffer fish

Ms. Hoot: Sounds like someone has done some reading!

Sara (blushing) : yes miss I want to be a Doctor when I grow up miss

Ms. Hoot: really? That’s brilliant Sara! You’ll have to join the St. Johns as soon as you are old enough!

Sara: I have my name down already miss

Ms. Hoot: Brilliant, just brilliant so who is next? There can’t be many left now.

Karen: Me Miss, I’m Karen (looking at Lucas who has his head down on the desk almost asleep) and my mum knew a ferret once

Lucas (snapping awake): Are you a Capybara? That’s so awesome! Can’t wait to tell my dad

Ms. Hoot: LUCAS! Calm down now, thank you Karen I think you are the first Capybara I have ever taught, so it’s a pleasure to meet you.

Karen: Thank you, we have just moved back to the Forest I grew up on Sandy Plains but Mum says the Forest is safer for us …

Carlton (butting in): I come from Sandy Plains as well! … but I have to travel in, Mum thinks I should board, Dad won’t move, says we have lived in the desert for years and that’s where we are meant to be. He thinks I have delusions of grandeur and should just be happy to live in the burrow and be a guard like all my brothers and uncles.

Ms. Hoot: Ah yes Carlton here is a Meerkat and he is on a scholarship, welcome to happy green forest Carlton.

Carlton: Thank you Miss, you know I have never met an Owl before but you known what? I thought you were meant to be nocturnal? Guess you could teach a night school, my dad says night school is for people with ideas above their stations and for underachievers who should have tried harder the first time around…

Ms. Hoot: um thank you Carlton you can sit down now

Rest of the class giggles

Carlton: Oh yeah sorry my mum says I talk too much, do you think I talk too much? She says I ask too many questions as well, she says that’s what annoys my Father the most, the (makes quotation marks with his fingers) “fact” that I have to question everything. I don’t question everything that’s absurd, sure I ask questions when I don’t understand the logic or reason. She always calls him father as well isn’t that weird? He’s not her father her father is my granddad, he’s dead now dad ousted him and took over the burrow but that was a long time ago so its alright.

Ms. Hoot: Carlton, sit down. So that just leaves us with you flower.

Marley (a raccoon with huge hoop earrings and uniform in disarray, slouched back in its chair ): Alright, names Marley innit,

Ms. Hoot: And whats your interesting fact Marley?

Marley: I knows what you was like when you were young innit.

Ms. Hoot (shocked) : Pardon?

Marley: My mam grew up with you innit told me some well wicked stuff man.

Ms. Hoot: Ah yes you must be Rachel’s daughter, How is she? I haven’t seen her in a long while.

Marley; She says you blanks her innit, thinks youse is better than us now you aint in Marsh Side innit.

Ms. Hoot: we’ll be having no innit in here thank you.

Marley: So its true then miss?

Ms. Hoot: What’s true?

Marley: You think youse is better than us?

Ms. Hoot: That’s nonsense, I’m proud of my background and my upbringing.

Now then class, now we all know each other shall we start properly?

If you want to open your books to Chapter one and we’ll begin ….

Narrator: Aaaah Happy days. School is important children for you are the future of this world.

Pay attention to what teacher says and take care you.

Ms. Hoot: Will somebody please wake Lucas up?

No comments: